The Positives of 2016

7:19 PM

Dress - Zara
Necklace - Topshop
Crown - Amazon

Slightly belated... but Happy New Year!

Unlike Christmas, I actually had plans for New Year's Eve! I did the exact same thing I've done for the last few years. One of my roommates has a big themed party with her family and it's honestly one of my favorite nights of every year! If you couldn't tell from the crown, this year, the theme was royalty. There were some really creative costumes like Beyoncé, Fresh Prince and the Queen of Hearts.

My roommates and I went with Kate Middleton-inspired looks... with gowns and crowns ordered off of Amazon, haha! This Zara dress pictured above was actually my second dress of the night because my gown for the theme was too long for my lack of height.

To ring in the new year, I wanted to do a post for my 2016 soundtrack, reminiscent of last year's post. I love music and have so many memories associated with specific songs. I like being able to conjure up good (or bad) times simply by playing one song. But, with the harsh feelings everyone has towards 2016, I wanted to join in on recounting some great personal moments of the year. Similar to why I started this blog in the first place, I need to focus on the good rather than the bad... (though the bad is quickly approaching.)

Here are some of my top moments of 2016:


1. For starters, I graduated college. I'm still figuring out if that's been a good or bad thing, to be honest. Kidding... maybe. I miss college like crazy, but I am infinitely proud of this accomplishment.

2. I moved in with two of my best friends. This was a huge one! We had been talking about it since we met four years ago, and we finally made it happen this year.

3. I found a sisterhood with some of the most incredible women I have ever had the privilege of meeting. Between my sisters and everything going on last semester, I managed to have the best semester of college yet - certainly a good note to end on.

4. I'm not sure how often I've mentioned it on here before, but figure skating has been a big part of my life for as long as I can remember. This year, I had the opportunity to work at the World Championships when they came to Boston. I never thought I would even have the chance to attend this event with world class skaters, but this year, I found myself working directly with Olympic Champions and my favorite athletes.

5. I saw Beyoncé on my birthday! I've tried to go to Queen Bey's former tours for years, but was never able to for one reason or another. Thankfully, I finally got into formation this year.


6. I got my first big girl job! I can't sugarcoat it. Job hunting was brutally hard and one of the worst experiences of my life. That being said, I fell into a pretty lucky position unexpectedly over the summer. I can't say I'm a fan of adulting, but this was a major life step.

7. I wrote a cover story on Dr. Ken's Krista Marie Yu about Asian American representation in mainstream media that I am extremely proud of. I got a chance to interview Edge of Seventeen's Hayden Szeto, too, right before Christmas for a story that will be published later this month. On Via Sora, I interviewed Brock Baker about his time on Glee and his music. I am grateful for the opportunities I continued to have in my field throughout 2016.

8. Oh my gosh, I almost forgot. I went to a Jimmy Fallon and Stephen Colbert taping this year! My roommate got last minute tickets to a Jimmy Fallon taping just days after my birthday. A few weeks later, I went to a Stephen Colbert taping with one of my friends as VIP because her supervisor was a guest on the show. Surreal!

9. I got to go to a lot of concerts, in addition to the Beyoncé concert. I absolutely love live music, so getting to see some of my favorite artists again or for the first time is always a joy. From 5 Seconds of Summer to Ellie Goulding to James Bay and more, it was a great year for shows.


10. I got to spend some extra time in Boston, the city that I love with all my heart. After graduating in May, I had some down time to soak in my last days in my home away from home and process that I would be leaving. Officially moving out of Boston after five years was an all time low moment of 2016, but I am forever grateful for the time I did have.

You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. With so many negative happenings last year, it's a great idea to focus on the good parts of it! You've certainly had a really noteworthy year, moving in with your friends and your first proper job are huge accomplishments! Lets hope 2017 is just as good to you! :-)

    Musings & More

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beyonce on your birthday is truly epic! Cheers to a better 2017!

    annescribblesanddoodles.blogspot.com | Bloglovin' | Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  3. Obsessed with your velvet dress! Such a great positive post!
    Kira
    Kira Is Wearing
    Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had a really great year - congrats on all your achievements! Very jealous that you got to see Beyonce - that is definitely on my bucket list!


    http://skylish.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice start of 2017 for you! Always be positive! Happy New Year Sora! Thanks for your wonderful comment on Qing's Style. Hope to hear from you soon!

    Follow me on Instagram and Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's definitely really nice to read about your positives of the year! I agree that 2016 was definitely a year where there were a ton of ups and downs. But overall there were some memorable highlights. I know I've said this in the past but congrats again on getting your first real job! I can't imagine how that must have been like job-hunting, and I'm definitely not looking forward to having to do that later on. Also, I am so jealous that you got to see all those live shows! That's really awesome. It's so different watching people perform compared to listening to a recording.
    I hope you are having a fantastic 2017 so far!

    ~Andrea Tiffany~
    aglimpseofglam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really nice outfit for a nice woman! I love your smile!
    MissGrey.ro
    https://missgrey.ro/blog/ce-purtam/rochii-de-domnisoara-de-onoare-cum-o-alegi-pe-cea-potrivita/

    ReplyDelete

Don't Miss This

Playlist Necessities: Christmas Music Part 2

Twitter