Blogger Nomination Award

10:00 AM

Dress - Brandy Melville
Jacket - J. Crew
Bag - Rebecca Minkoff

As the weather finally drops to the typical winter temperatures here on the east coast, I dug deep into my archives to when I lived in Los Angeles for a bit in 2014. Ahh... those were the days.  Can you believe these pictures were taken in December of that year? I was frolicking around a beach in a dress and flats with the sun beating down and just a jean jacket for protection from the slight "winter chill." Ugh.

As I stare at these pictures with jealousy for my past life, I'm excited to answer the questions in the Blogger Nomination Award that Samantha has so graciously tagged me in. I love browsing Sam's blog for her beauty picks - I know I can always look to her for some great products and ideas - so I'm honored she thought of me!

Rules:
1. Write a post to show your award
2. Acknowledge the blogger that nominated you
3. Give a brief story about why you started blogging
4. Give two pieces of advice to new bloggers
5. Nominate 15 other bloggers/blogs for the award

WHY I STARTED BLOGGING

I went a bit into why I started this particular blog in a recent personal post, which is a whole other story since I can't really remember when I first started blogging. In a way, I feel like I've always been blogging, from my Xanga days to MySpace blog posts to multiple Blogspots and WordPress accounts. As a writer, blogging is something I've always dabbled with, but with all of my commitments, it was the one thing that always fell off my plate. Knowing that, it's probably not surprising to anyone that this is a revival of Via Sora.

I don't remember when I started the original Via Sora or when I stopped, but I came back to it last November (happy blogiversary to me!) when I wasn't happy with a lot of things in my life. To put it in perspective, my first post on here was about four songs that always make me happy in an attempt to stray away from the things that were bringing me down.

I told myself that I was going to use this blog to focus on the things that make me happy, so I could get away from the depression and anxiety. It was an outlet to force myself to look elsewhere and to take my mind off of the things I couldn't stand. I'm a strong believer in the idea that if you focus on the negativity, it'll only get stronger, but if you focus on the positivity, you will eventually be happier. It's like what people say about giving a fake smile until it's real. This was a way for me to make myself focus on the positivity in my life again.


MY ADVICE FOR NEW BLOGGERS

Make a schedule for yourself.
Be organized and make a schedule. I was pretty good about this at the beginning, but now I keep using life as an excuse for my inconsistent blog posts. The thing is, everyone is busy. Everyone has things to do. It's a matter of creating a schedule for yourself and making yourself stick to it. This way, readers come to know you and know when to expect - and get excited! - about new content from you. Once you're in a steady system, it'll be easier to keep your blog updated regularly with fresh content.

Write about what you love.
People talk about finding a niche or writing about what's trending. Yes, you should have a niche, so your readers know what they're getting when they come to your blog. But, there is also a part of me that believes you should just write about whatever you feel like writing about. If you don't, you'll get bored of your own blog and it'll start to feel like a chore. You want to love what you're writing about and feel joy because of it rather than feeling like you're forced to do one thing.


NOMINATIONS

Ignore the fact that I ignored the rules and there aren't 15 nominations. But, if you aren't nominated and want to do this, please do so! I'm excited to read everyone's stories and tips. I could definitely use all of them! (Apologies if you've already been nominated! Feel free to ignore this one ;))

- Lindsey from Modern Diction
- Emily from Musings & More
- Gabrielle from A Glass of Ice
- Joyce from Joycentricity
- Kemi from Skylish
- Gemma from JacquardFlower

You Might Also Like

22 comments

  1. I actually had no idea this was a revival of a previous blog. I'm glad you continued to blog and found a passion in it again. Blogging is a great outlet, and definitely a way to escape from the negative stuff troubling us in our lives. I especially agree with your tip on writing about what you love. It's important to do something that makes you different from other bloggers, meaning finding your niche, but it won't work if you don't fully love it. If you fully love something, you put more heart and effort into it. And I definitely agree that writing about what you love is way more important. Thanks for sharing!

    ~Andrea Tiffany~
    aglimpseofglam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Andrea! Me too :) Even with all my blogs, this is the one that's lasted the longest haha! Agreed, it's what I try to focus on here for my own mental health and to just be able to share that with everyone else. Absolutely, being able to standout is important, but it won't matter if you don't love it!

      Delete
  2. So happy you were able to use this blog as an outlet, I feel very similar about my blog to - it definitely can be very therapeutic. Couldn't agree with these points more - it's hard to stick to a schedule but is definitely the best way yo get organised. Also makes like a lot easier when you write about what you love, was telling my boyfriend about that the other day, it definitely shows if you're writing just for the sake and about something you don't care for.

    http://skylish.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and it's better to stick to a schedule and get posts up rather than letting your blog get forgotten about, both by yourself and your readers. I completely agree! Thanks for your thoughts, Kemi!

      Delete
  3. I also didn't know this was a revival of Via Sora but it's cool that you decided to continue and keep it positive for yourself. I feel like that kind of ties in with writing about what you love. For me, it was find your niche and write about everything in that niche, but it got so boring and draining, seeing the same posts everywhere, even if I did enjoy the topic. I'm trying to take a more creative approach to my posts, and I'm already feeling more excited about it!

    Sam | My Beauty Cloud

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sam! It definitely helped me when I needed it the most, and continues to help today. That's so great to hear! Personally, I love the way you style your posts visually too - it's unique to you and always so pretty.

      Delete
  4. This is such a fun tag, and I really enjoyed reading your answers and getting to know you a little better, darling! I do remember the good old xanga and MySpace days... :D And also, I really like what you said about writing only about the things you're truly passionate about... I think it really shows when people don't! Thank you for sharing :) <3 xoxo

    Kay
    http://www.shoesandglitter.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kay! Absolutely, then everyone just gets bored and that's no good :P Thanks for reading! <3

      Delete
  5. I really love that you created your blog to focus on happy things, that's such a great place to start your little corner of the internet! Definitely agree with you on scheduling, so important. Thank you for the nomination lovely, what a fun tag!

    Musings & More

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It's a space where I won't let any negativity get to me -- or at least I'll try not to! I started it for myself, but I hope it can reach out to others too. Of course! Can't wait to read your answers, if you do it!

      Delete
  6. I love the reasons why you started blogging. It's god you can use you blog to offload and help yourself stay in the positive.
    Great tips. Scheduling is so important. I didn't learn it until a few weeks of blogging. Also writing about what you love and not what you think others want to see.
    Congrats on you award :)
    xo
    Sauniya | Find Your Bliss ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, absolutely! That's why I do it. Scheduling can be tedious, but is so important. Thank you!

      Delete
  7. Oh I like such posts! It's so nice to learn about the person behind a blog! To write about what you love is the key! xoxo

    www.naomella.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Naomella! Glad you enjoyed :)

      Delete
  8. I enjoyed reading your answers, nice post!

    http://www.myclusterofthoughts.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely post! I loved finding out more about you and your blog. I can't believe the photos were took last December it looks so warm! Also thanks so much for the nomination I'm so happy. Have a great day!

    Gemma x
    www.jacquardflower.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was so warm, I couldn't believe it either! I'd much rather that than dealing with the cold, rainy NYC now :( Of course! Looking forward to your answers :)

      Delete
  10. I think many use blogging as an outlet to express themselves and it was the same for me. Your advice to new bloggers are good ones, it's important to write about what we are passionate about.

    Shireen | Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete

Don't Miss This

Playlist Necessities: Christmas Music Part 2

Twitter